Egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jazzyb, Jan 2, 2017.

1. jazzyb

jazzyb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Can a Silverlaced Wyandotte lay white eggs? Everything I read says brown but I found Rosie sitting on a very warm freshly layed white egg. No other hens in the area.... very confused!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It is white-white, like a store bought egg? Or off-white/creamy colored?

Wyandottes should lay brown, but the shade of brown can vary to a light cream in some cases. Genetically it's still brown. Or another option could be a bird that normally lays brown eggs simply "forgets" to put the brown coating on and lays a white egg as a one-off thing.

Do you have a picture of her?

3. jazzyb

jazzyb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Egg was white white. I thought she was laying brown since I have found many brown and she seems to be the layer. It's a young flock , Legern has been laying well and I thought only Rosie was also laying. This morning I found a white and brown egg in the coop when I let them out. [​IMG] I do also have a New Hampshire Red but I don't think she is laying yet.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Since you have a Leghorn, I'm betting the egg was hers. She could have laid it any time, and the next hen setting in the nest would have warmed it up to body temp, so it felt warm and freshly laid.

the hen pictured is not a Wyandotte. I want to say she's a barred Rock, but the comb looks weird. I can't tell if it's a rose comb, which could mean either she's mixed or a Dominique (I'd vote for mixed as the body shape is wrong for a Dominique). Anyway, from what I can see, she should be a brown egger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by