Egg Color?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HandsomePoultry, Mar 12, 2017.

1. HandsomePoultry

HandsomePoultry Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Tomorrow I plan to set 50 or so eggs into my incubator to sell chicks. Of these they come from a Barred rock rooster or a GC rooster. The hens I have with them are Barred rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Golden comets, and a Brahma. Now these babies will be a barnyard mix and I assume all offspring will be brown layers from brown breeds. Except what comes from my GC hens x GC roo. The f1 have all been brown layers that look like the mothers; a light red. Yet of the two F2 chicks I hatched (diffrent GC roos) I got all white offspring. These aren't old enough to lay yet so I am wondering if they will give brown or white eggs. I am thinking brown?

2. MerleMice

MerleMice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    Right, they will most likely lay brown eggs, the body color doesn't impact egg color.

3. HandsomePoultry

HandsomePoultry Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Yes, but from my understanding the rooster might hold a white egg allele, but brown is dominant. Or so I was thinking. My knowledge isn't the greatest, nor the worst, but I like the extra opinions.

4. MerleMice

MerleMice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
  5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    They will lay some shade of brown... shading could vary greatly...

There are only 2 colors of egg shells though... white and blue... the brown overlay pigment is caused by completely seperate genes and there's something like a dozen of them, or 15? I can't recall how many, but there's several...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by