1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Driftwood Coop, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Driftwood Coop

Driftwood Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Amesbury, Mass
    I've got 5 different varieties of chickens, and one (or more) is laying a very light brown egg. I suspect it's a wyandotte. Anyone know if wyandotte eggs are that color?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

What kinds of other chickens do you have?

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
  4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

5. katrinag

6. katrinag

double post.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. Driftwood Coop

Driftwood Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Amesbury, Mass
    Thanks! Great info. I'm thinking the only way to know is to catch her "in the act!"
    The other breeds are Polish, light brown leghorn, Rhode Island red and Barred Rock.

8. katrinag

My RIR since it has been cold and the end of her laying cycle lays a soft brown egg.

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My wyandotte lays a lighter brown egg than the two BR's and the australorp. Sometimes she even paints hers with speckles. They're lovely!

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have all brown egg layers 65 in all, and I get all sorts of shades of brown, light, dark, really pale biege, some have neat little speckled spots. I think this is normal and just part of having non comercial laying hens, I think it is cool and my customers are tickled to death to see this.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by