Egg color

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SunAngel, Feb 28, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    How can you tell which duck is laying which egg?

I am getting some nice sized white/light tan eggs and also some (chicken sized) green eggs.

I don't really know who is laying. I think all my females are old enough to lay now. I have a Black Swedish, 2 Blue Swedish, a Muscovy and a Mini Appleyard. I thought my Muscovy was laying small white eggs last fall, but I am not finding any small white eggs now.

Whoever is laying the eggs is being sneaky about it. I found 7 of the big white eggs in a nice little nest. Felt bad about taking them, but none of the ducks seemed to be sitting on the nest. Do they keep laying til they get as many as they want before they sit on them?

I am pretty sure one of us gathered eggs in there house a few days ago and when I went in there this morning there was 13 eggs! Is it safe to assume all 3 Swedish are probably laying the larger white eggs?

2. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Your Cayuga is laying the greenish eggs.

I would say your sweedish are laying the white eggs, but they may be your muscovys too.

You mini appleyard will lay small eggs.

Yes they will set when they feel they have enough eggs. A muscovy will lay up to 30 eggs before she will set. also if you missed an egg that was layed in a corner somewhere, muscovys have been known to roll the egg over and put it in their nest. Greedy ducks aren't they? [​IMG]

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I don't have a Cayuga though. Is there another choice for the green eggs? They aren't big, about the size of my pullet EE eggs and about the same color. Could they be the mini appleyards eggs?

I gathered all the eggs I could find today. So I will see if theres any eggs later today and tomorrow. That should tell me better how many are laying.

Maybe I will leave any eggs laid in the nest alone from here on out. Maybe one of them will decide to try and hatch.

I have a Black Swedish, Magpie and Snowy Call drake. So hopefully they will start giving me some ducklings.

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    [​IMG] sorry i thought i read you had a cayuga. lol

I bet if their small they are your appleyards.

Julie

5. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    This is confusing lol

McMurray says that Swedish usually lay white eggs with some being green. So maybe these small green ones are just first eggs from one of the Swedish. But then that doesn't explain the abundance of large white eggs all the same size. Unless the Muscovys eggs from last fall doubled in size and shes consistently laying every day.

Appleyards supposedly lay white eggs.

[​IMG] They should all lay different colored eggs or be nice and mark them for me! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by