Egg Color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggie and Me, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Our flock consists of 4 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. They're 37 weeks old and have been laying since they were 21-22 wks. [​IMG] My question is about egg color. Yesterday the weirdest thing happened. I was rinsing off eggs for breakfast and one of them all of a sudden started losing it's color. [​IMG] By the time i finished the egg was completely white. [​IMG] [​IMG] The eggs are rinsed, not scrubbed. I noticed that the shell might have been slightly thinner than the others, but who knows because they all share two nesting boxes. What would cause this to happen?? [​IMG] Thanks as always for your advice, suggestions and input............................................ [​IMG]

2. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    The brown color on chicken eggs is painted on as the egg moves through the oviduct. The shell is actually white. All brown eggs can have their color washed or scrubbed off. It's normal and nothing to worry about.

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    WOW, I never knew that:confused:

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Happens to very freshly laid eggs sometimes. Once they set a bit the color is much harder to rub off. The only true egg shell colors are white and blue (shell is formed with color spread completely throughout entire shell).

5. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Amazing. I had no idea. Thank you for the information. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by