Egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Will a chicken lay the same shade of egg each time? I get brown eggs. They range from very light to dark and I have noticed some will have speckeles. We have a maran mix. She is one of my sex links. I think the darkest eggs we get are from her. It's not the standard dark you would get from a Maran. Today we got one that looked pink. I held it up to one of our dark brown ones and it looked pink! I don't know who laid that one. What do you think???

2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:My Buff Orpingtons lay lighter colored/pinkish tan eggs. Maybe your BO's are laying those? [​IMG]

3. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    My BO also lays light tan/pinkish eggs. She is one of my best layers!

4. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Really???!!! I have noticed on of the BO's was looking ready. The other one still has a light pink comb. Yayayaayaya!!!![​IMG]

5. I was going to ask the same thing. My kids (who usually collect the eggs) swear that one of my EEs' eggs has changed- she has been laying olive/dark green eggs. Now we're getting one that is nearly the same shade, but has brown speckles. I've gotten two of those. Because this one is not a regular layer, it's hard to know if it's her or not. She's been laying for around 2 weeks and is only giving us eggs about 1/2 of the time.

I think someone else has started to lay, but thought I would ask to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by