egg color

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JOHNNYAPPLEWEED, Dec 13, 2012.

1. JOHNNYAPPLEWEED

JOHNNYAPPLEWEED New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    I am new to having chickens. I have many other animals on my farm.
    Last spring we built a chicken coop with a 400 sq foot turn out made of chain link fance and chicken wire. Then we got 12 baby chicks(6 RI Reds and 6 White) . This fall we got our first eggs, one white, then 2 white, then 2 white a day for 3 weeks. Then we got our first brown egg, then two, then two a day. Now the white eggs have stopped but we get 4 or 5 brown eggs a day. The white chickens are setting on the nest but we have not seen a white egg in over a week. Some of the brown eggs are very light colored but still brown.
    I was told that the egg color is linked to the color of the chickens ear color, Will solid white chickens lay brown eggs???
    I have 4 cfl 60w lights on from 4pm to 9pm and heated water dishes so they have water at all times and a feeder that never gets below 1/2 full. There is also a string of LED christmas lights between the chickens and the ducks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some white chickens (leghorns) lay white eggs. Others (white rocks) lay brown eggs. In many instances chickens with white ear LOBES lay white eggs and chickens with red ear lobes lay brown eggs, but there are several exceptions to this generalization.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

4. wlbaker3

wlbaker3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
  5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard!! Best wishes!

10. JOHNNYAPPLEWEED

JOHNNYAPPLEWEED New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    MYSTERY SOLVED

1) CHICKENS CAN FLY ( I found one of my hens on a 3 foot by 5 foot a shelf above the door.This shelf is 6 feet off the floor)
    When i unlock the door they would fly off before the door opened.

2) MY WHITE CHICKENS LAY WHITE EGGS (There were 33 white egge up in the back of the shelf)

All of the eggs were frozen and cracked open because there was no nest and they did not set on them. Mabe I need another nest box higher off the floor (or ea tree)
    I have 3 nest boxes made from milk crates, one just off the floor, one a foot high and one 2 feet high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by