1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

???? egg colored funny ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick rookie, Dec 4, 2013.

1. chick rookie

chick rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    [​IMG]

I have a funny kinda speckled pink egg... is something wrong with it or is it normal for a certain breed that I didn't know I had... lol this is the first egg like this I have got.
    Told ya I would drive ya'll nuts with the questions. sorry
    If this has already been asked someplace I'm sorry I looked but didn't find.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    The egg always tastes the same, but many chicken breeds lay many different colored eggs, including pink. There are theories that speckles show a nutrient lack, but I disagree. I have been mixing breeds for several years, until this year when we got "0" hatched, so I bought pullets, but I've gotten speckled and non-speckled and the same breed can lay darker or lighter eggs. It's all about the melatonin in the hen.

3. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    ok at least I know nothing is wrong with my hens... now I'm really going to show how stupid I am... lol what is melatonin?

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
  5. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    o ok thanks

6. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    and thanks for the dictionary web site. I book marked it

7. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I have had one similar but it was just excessive bloom.

8. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    ok once again I feel like a dumb butt... I tried to look up the bloom in ref, to chickens and all I can find is about flowers and trees...so what is excessive bloom, please I guess ya cant learn if ya don't ask.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Bloom is the protective moist coating a hen's body applies to the egg just as it's laid. It "seals" the egg and helps protect the contents from bacteria transfer.

I think your egg is just a glitch in one of your hen's systems and will work itself out. New layers especially don't always have all the kinks worked out, and you get some really funky eggs. No shells, no yolks, double yolks, shells with weird ridges/bumps/lumps, things like that. You just don't know hens lay eggs like that cause they never make it to the grocery store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by