Egg coloring from different roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mochicken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have 4 hens that are with 2 roos ( I know I need to get rid of a roo lol, in the process of finding him a new home )

The hens are BSL and the roos are "Easter Eggers", do the roosters being a different breed affect the color of the eggs from BSL hens? they are light brown- tan eggs but they have not been laying long. Just curious if the color of the egg is affected by they roosters at all since they are a different breed?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Since EE's are themselves crosses, it's hard to know what they are contributing. They could contribute the blue egg gene, assuming they have pea combs. But they contribute brown as well or a mixture of the two. The only way to find out is to test mate them.

3. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I wonder that also. I have an Ameraucana pullet and the roo that we will be keeping is a Black Copper mix. Would that mean that I won't get blue/green eggs, but instead a brown?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Right. If you are talking about what color or shade of eggs the offspring will lay, the rooster will contribute some genes. Especially with EE roosters yoou don't know what you will get.

If you are talking about the egg color the mated hen lays, the rooster has absolutely no effect on what color eggs she lays. Her egg color will be the same whether she mates or not.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:If she is a true Ameraucana and pure for blue eggs and she lays blue eggs now, you will probably get green eggs. If she is an EE and is not pure for blue (even if she lays blue eggs now), or if she lays green eggs now, you may or may not get green eggs.

The basic egg shell color is either blue or white. When you crack an egg and look under the membrane inside, you will see the basic color. You might get different shades of white. I have one that lays what I would call ivory, but that is due to other things. If the hen has either one or two blue genes, the basic egg shell will be blue. Blue is dominant over white.

Whether the egg is white, blue, brown, or green when viewed from the outside of the shell depends on different genes. Chickens may coat the egg with various shades of brown, which gives a lot of different color or shades. Think of it this way:

Basic white + no brown gives a white egg
    Basic white + light brown gives a light brown egg
    Basic white + dark brown gives a dark brown egg

Basic blue + no brown gives a blue egg
    Basic blue + light brown gives a light green egg
    Basic blue + dark brown gives an olive green egg

6. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah RR I was talking about the mated hen laying eggs colored by the rooster. I have BSL pullets and EE Roosters and they are breeding obviously so I wondered if that made a difference at all, I have been getting tan/brown eggs so I figured the correct answer was no but this eggin stuff is all new to me lol

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have alot to learn but I have learned so much already from you all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by