egg coloring

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmgillan, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mmgillan

mmgillan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Walterboro, SC
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure which hen laid this egg, but has anyone ever seen an egg that has a large white area and verigated looking. Also, my husband found 2 eggs in the nesting box this afternoon and 1 was very soft at the top and kind of smooshed open. Is it possible that 1 hen laid 2 eggs, but only 1 formed correctly?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    its normal for hens to make weird eggs! yolks are safe to eat. it could be her first time laying eggs. are you giving oyster shells? Make sure your giving them good quality food.

3. mmgillan

mmgillan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Walterboro, SC
    yes, they get Egg Layer pellets and oyster shell. Some of my girls just started laying just a few weeks ago, and haven't been consistant so I was curious if they could lay 2 eggs, 1 being small & normal, the other being small and soft.
    We're learning as we go.....so thanks for any advice [​IMG]

4. juliefarms

juliefarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    Very weird. Would be interested to hear responses..

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes it is possible for the rare second egg laid in a day to have an abnormality. It take materials to make and egg and the supply line isn't always ahead far enough for the production line to work over time on a complete egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by