Egg colors and such

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchik715, Jul 19, 2010.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    Do Buff Orpington's lay brown speckled eggs or do you think it was one of my EE's? I think I have two birds laying...both light brown and I think they are VO's but then today I heard the egg song (and this is the latest I ever got an egg so far) and sure enough there was a brown speckled egg, but I do not know who from? Any ideas. It was quite small and very different so I know I have a new layer just not sure who....

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Sounds like an Orp egg to me!
    EEs (short for Easter Egger, if you didn't know) should lay blue or green eggs. [​IMG] There is the occasional fluke, but that's what they're bred for.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    EEs can lay any color egg. It depends on who their parents were. They are cross bred birds, so can lay anything from blue, green, brown, pink, I've even heard of an occasional EE that lays a yellow egg. If your EE has some Welsummer parentage, that could easily account for a brown speckled egg...congrats!!! [​IMG]

4. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    Thanks guys! I hope I have three layers now...3 down...3 to go!

5. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    I have two EEs. One lays a light green the other a very pale (almost pinkish) brown. Congrats on your eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by