Egg Colors = Breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 2, 2012.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Anyway, i got my eggs today...chicken eggs that is. lol.
    I'm very eggcited and very antsy to put them in the incubator.

here are the eggs ( you can spot a feather between 4 eggs on the right side )

[​IMG]

can you tell the breed of the chick w/ the color of the egg?
    (my good guess would be "NO") but i'm not a eggspert on chickens. lol.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    they could come from any brown egg breed known to us, or any mix of any of the known breeds, so NO you cant tell what breed they will be... if I had to pic I would say they are plain old ISA Brown eggs...

3. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I think I narrowed it down to one/two breed...
    I looked at the farms website where I got the eggs and incubator.

They only have two kinds of chickens: Rhode Island Reds and Leghorn Chickens.

I got the hint from their website = " We raise free range chickens (high quality all natural, fortified with omega 3's) and each morning collect fresh eggs from our resident hens – browns, from 600 Rhode Island reds; whites, from 1,400 Leghorn chickens. "

[FONT=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]That is just from their market page because they also sell the eggs for breakfast foods.... My eggs are brownish color [/FONT]

4. ericsplls

ericsplls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Given the choice of RIR or Leghorn , those came from the RIR. They are most likely production reda but perfect for eggs.

5. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks...
    One of them came w/ a white feather on it, but I highly doubt that means anything. right?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If that feather is from the hen that layed the egg and since that the feather is White and the eggs are Brown I would say that the farm doesn't have Rhode Island Reds but they may have Production Reds or Red Sex-links.
    Rhode Island Reds don't have any white feathers.

Do you have a link to there website? I could tell better If I saw a picture of the birds.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I guess I was right... [​IMG]

8. I am guessing this is their website and there are no pictures of the birds, but an interesting site.
    http://www.abmasfarm.com/market.php

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by