1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg colors & cracked eggs...just started laying 2 weeks ago.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosscreekranch, Aug 8, 2013.

1. rosscreekranch

rosscreekranch New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    My Golden Sexlink chickens just started laying. I was curious about the different shades of brown. The lighter ones seem to have a thinner shell and some have been cracked on the end. My chickens have oyster shell available, but don't really go for it. I heard that they will eat if their body needs it and won't if they don't...fact or myth? Also, does anyone lay carpet or astroturf in the bottom of nesting boxes to prevent cracking. What is your experience as far as hygiene & less egg cracking? Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If they only started laying recently their shell glands will still be immature and odd eggs, strange shells etc will be normal. They will work out all these kinks in their reproductive systems as they lay more though. I cannot tell you anything about the carpet/astroturf idea. I just make sure I have a good layer of either wood shavings, dry grass or straw in my boxes and so far I've had very little problems with egg breakages. I'm sure it can work though :)

1 person likes this.
  3. rosscreekranch

rosscreekranch New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    We've used pine shavings and straw. They have been pushing their bedding to the sides and exposing the wooden bottom, maybe causing some of the cracking.

4. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine would push the shavings aside too. So I put a double layer of cardboard down, then the shavings on top of that. I figure this way there's still a cushion for the eggs. One of the girls is laying in the nest box. The other that's laying is using the mulch in the rose bushes. 2 weeks of eggs and no cracked ones yet! Still waiting for my other 3 slacker hens to lay. 2 others are about ready, squatting and checking out the nest boxes.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by