1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg colors

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowlmood, Jan 29, 2009.

1. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    My question is, do mallards always lay greenish/blue eggs or will they lay white ones? I'm asking because I have a 9 month old pekin whose been laying for about 4 months now. She's been pretty consistent laying almost every day even through this winter. I also have a 9 month old runner and an 8 month old mallard who have not been laying yet. For the past three days now I've gotten 3 duck eggs each morning, but they all look exactly like the pekin eggs. I'm not sure who else is laying. The pekin lays a good sized egg and the other two eggs have been smaller in size but the same white color. I wouldn't think that the runner and mallard would both start laying the exact same day would you? I'm assuming that the runner has started laying and she's just not on a normal schedule so to speak. Could she be laying more than one a day until she gets regulated? I'm very happy with 3 eggs a day but I'm puzzled as to where they're coming from. Any thoughts on this?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    my runners lay greenish looking eggs. not white, but some runners do lay white eggs. I think most runners lay green ones. It is possible your pekin coudl lay more than one in a day, i've heard some people 's ducks laying multiple eggs in one day.

3. fowlmood

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    Interesting. It has now been six days in a row of 3 eggs that all look alike. When my pekin first started there was a day or two of laying more than one egg, usually followed by a few days of not laying any eggs. I didn't know that they would start laying more than one a day later on. Like I said earlier, I'm very happy with getting all the eggs, but I was confused as to why they were all the same. Is it true that mallards lay greenish/blue eggs? Can I assume that the mallard and runner may NOT be laying yet? [​IMG]

4. Do you have any way of separating them for a day or overnight if that's when they lay? If you have a three egg a day layer you have a very special duck. I hope will hatch her offspring and offer them to people who would like to breed those genes. Even her male sons would be valuable for that purpose.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah...no kidding! LOL

I am getting 2 eggs a day and I have 3 female ducks. The eggs started out looking different and now they look almost the same. I thought it was my khaki hen and my buff that were laying, but now I am not so sure. [​IMG]

I was hoping that they would be different colors and sizes so I could tell who was laying what!!!

6. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My mallards always lay greenish eggs..They girls are 1 1/2 old and tiny little things compared to my others..The eggs are so cute and small its hard to believe a baby can come out of there!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  7. fowlmood

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    Well I seperated them last night. The mallard is difinitely laying a white egg. The runner escaped from her spot, went with the pekin, and I got my other two white eggs there. So, there ya have it----I've got a mutt duck I guess. [​IMG] Doesn't matter to me though. I'll enjoy her and her eggs just the same. Although I was looking forward to getting some different colored ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by