1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg colors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mkearsley, Dec 10, 2010.

1. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I've got four hens - A polish & I think a cochin (both over 1 yr old), a silver-laced wyandotte & a black sex-link (both 7-8 months old). This summer, I was getting off-white eggs from the polish (I actually got to see her lay the egg, so I know they were hers). None of the other girls were laying. The Polish stopped laying sometime in September. Well, yesterday, when I went to clean out the boxes, there were two light-brown eggs! I left them there, to watch the hens' reactions. The Polish went right to the eggs, & started attacking the other three birds! The wyandotte didn't know what to do, because her normal nest was being blocked by the Polish (she & the cochin normally share a box, & the Polish sleeps on the ground in front of the box.) They all finally went to sleep. My question is, do I have another layer in there or has the Polish's egg color changed? The summer white eggs & the winter brown eggs are about the same size. The beginning of this week they all started going back outside to graze on whatever grass was peaking through the snow & dead leaves. Before that, their diet was pretty much layer crumbles, BOSS, canned dog food & corn, & dry dog food. during the summer, they had whatever they could graze and/or catch to eat, the dog's dry food, & access to crumbles that they never ate.

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I would guess that you have another layer (or two). At 7-8 months I would think that might be a possibility, and Wyandottes and sex links both lay brown eggs. Had you checked the nest box yesterday (with no egg there then?) I would think 2 layers since they really only lay one a day for the most part.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Another layer! Yippee for you.

Not only would the polish not change colors of her egg, I find that my polish lay a more elongated egg, kinda slimmer than my production girls. It actually reminds me of their body types - polish is more of a long, oval shape, the production are round and, well, chubby LOL!

4. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    Whoohoo [​IMG] That's what I thought. No, there were no eggs the day before, so maybe both the Wyandotte & sex-link are laying now [​IMG] So why would the Polish claim them as her own?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by