Egg colors?

samjoh95

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
I have 6 hens, and thought I had a pretty good idea of what they were... until they started laying unexpected egg colors! Does anyone know what kind of chicken would lay a pink-ish lavender egg?? Is it possible for a chicken to lay different colored eggs??

Don't the EE's have a fairly distinctive look? That was my first thought. But when I looked at pictures of them, none of my chickens seem to look quite like them.

here is one next to one of my brown eggs
85295_img_0639.jpg

and some of them have brownish spots or a dip-dyed like pattern
85295_img_0640.jpg

Quote:
What kind of hens do you have. The light one sort of looks like my Buff Orpington's or my Barred Rock's.

Top one is from my BO
Middle one is from my PR
Bottom one is from my BR who just started laying two days ago

81976_img_20110723_141726.jpg

85295_img_0692.jpg
85295_img_0693.jpg
85295_img_0695.jpg

These three are the only one's I'm not sure about. And I dont have pics, but I also have 1Dominique 1 RIR and 1 white leghorn (visible in one pic!).

Certain breeds have tendencies of what egg color they tend to lay, but these are not absolute laws of nature. There are several different genes that determine egg shell color. Even within the same breed, these can go together in different ways and produce different shades of brown. I've had chickens of the same breed lay tremendously different shades of brown eggs. It just depends on which genes they wind up with.

I have one hen that can lay a slightly different colored egg. Sometimes it is noticeably lighter than other times and sometimes it is two toned. I figure something is messed up in the part of her internal egg laying factory that puts on the brown. Or maybe it moves through that part of the assembly line a little faster than other times. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom