Egg colors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DownwardDog, Oct 11, 2013.

1. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    Hello everyone!

I have a mystery hen (I suspect she's a NH Red) and 3 Barred Rocks that have consistently been laying 3-4 eggs daily. Today I found a whole nest in the corner of the coop filled with 14 eggs!!!! I have 3 Speckled Sussex that are the culprits, and 3 more EEs, only 1 of which is laying an occasional greenish egg. Do all my breeds lay brown eggs, except for the EEs? We occasionally have speckled eggs but I'm pretty sure those were Rock eggs. I'm curious about the egg colors just to know if the Sussex are starting to lay yet. Everyone was born on April 9, 2013.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My hatchery Sp Sussex lay a light tan egg, your EEs could also lay brown eggs, usually the hatchery brown egg laying EEs lay more a light-medium shade of brown though ime. My Sussex and Rocks lay about the same color eggs, maybe the Sussex eggs are a little darker, they are usually smaller.

3. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    Kelsie, I'll be bummed if my EEs lay just brown eggs! We've seen 3 green/blue eggs, over the course of a month. I'm hoping the Sussex are the ones laying:))) We do get this rich, deep brown egg every once in a while, it's gorgeous! I think our mystery hen is a Red Sex-link, she gives us double-yolkers all the time -- her eggs don't fit in the cartons. [​IMG]

4. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    If your EEs do lay brown eggs, then they are not purebreds!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    EE are not a breed, but mutts with a mix of Ameraucana somewhere up the line (carrier of the blue egg gene) and any other bird.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Aart, you might find this interesting. It is from the Ameraucana Breeders Club site and talks about how the Ameraucana breed was developed. As you can see, EE’s don’t come from Ameraucanas. Ameraucanas were developed from EE’s. If you read it carefully, you’ll see the Araucanas were too. They decided by vote what the standards for Ameraucanas should be, earlobe color, leg color, and all that, then bred to meet those standards.

http://www.ameraucana.org/history.html

Here’s another fun article too, comparing Araucana, Ameraucana, and EE’s.

EE/Ameraucana/Araucana comparison
    http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

7. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

What ??? All EE's don't lay green or blue eggs? I have 1 EE and I know they are mutts but I didn't know they might lay brown eggs. By the way what could they be mixed with?? [​IMG]

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What could they be mixed with? Technically any chicken in the world, Silkie, Polish, whatever. But in reality from the hatcheries they are most likely to be mixed with the standard dual purpose chickens to increase egg laying ability and produce the multicolored green eggs. Don’t be too surprised to see leghorn thrown in either, to keep the eggs more blue or lighter green and improve egg laying.

The different colors and patterns you get from the hatcheries will partly come from mixing in the “other” breeds. But there are different recognized colors and patterns of Ameraucana. If you mix different colors and patterns of true SOP Ameraucana, you will get a rainbow of colors and patterns.

Then look at the dates. Some hatcheries have been in existence longer than the Ameraucana has been a recognized breed. It’s quite possible some of their colored egg laying breeding stock has been with them since before the Ameraucana was a recognized breed.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ridgerunner, I have read that article, it's fascinating.....the term 'Easter Egger' is a colloquialism used prior to the development of Araucana and the Ameraucana.
    Standards for the Araucana and Ameraucana were defined and they officially became 'breeds'.

Easter Eggers are still a mix of other 'breeds' and are not Araucana or Ameraucana, tho those breed names are used to sell the beloved EE mutts.

10. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I got mine from Townline hatchery in Michigan I can't wait until she starts laying hoping for green or blue egg, I will be getting a couple more in the spring I want a variety of color in my basket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by