Egg colour wrong

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ValleyviewRoost, Oct 26, 2014.

1. ValleyviewRoost

ValleyviewRoost Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    My isa brown had trouble laying her egg for about a week....she layed some that was just the egg white...some just the membrane....now the last 4-5 days she has layed an egg but the couloir is very pale...almost white and not the usual brown colour....does anyone have any suggestions as to why this would be happening ?? V

2. DesertChickens1

DesertChickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    Well I'm not sure about the egg color but I know when hens lay eggs without shells they don't have enough calcium, maybe that also effects the color, but I would give her some calcium supplements or oyster shells

3. cricket-getters

cricket-getters Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    Channing Texas
    I have 2 isa hens that lay white, and a black game hen that has white egss too. I wouldn't worry. And the shell thing desert said, calcium calcium calcium

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm not sure what is going on with your hen, though it is likely that her reproductive system is having problems. I would recommend posting your question in the Emergencies section of the forums: Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures People there who are knowledgeable about many chicken ailments should be able to help.

Good luck with your hen!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Yes, I'd post in the Emergencies section, in case she's sick. Another section where you may get more good answers is in the Chicken Behavior an Egglaying section: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If these birds are new layers, until they get their egg laying machines in gear they can lay eggs without a shell. But always keep that calcium on hand right next to the feed and water. They will eat it as necessary.

As for the egg shell color, each hen has her own color. Brown egg layers can lay many shades of brown.

As stated above, you may want to post this in our emergency if she continues to have issues with laying.

Welcome to our flock!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Does it seem as if the eggs are too large for her?

8. ValleyviewRoost

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    I do offer oyster she'll and my leghorn eats it no problem...she was laying brown eggs when I first got her....maybe I will put some in a treat mixture.....thanks for the advice everyone....I will check the emergency section...

9. ValleyviewRoost

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada

10. ValleyviewRoost

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    The eggs seem to be right size

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by