Egg colour wrong

ValleyviewRoost

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Guelph ontario Canada
My isa brown had trouble laying her egg for about a week....she layed some that was just the egg white...some just the membrane....now the last 4-5 days she has layed an egg but the couloir is very pale...almost white and not the usual brown colour....does anyone have any suggestions as to why this would be happening ?? V

Well I'm not sure about the egg color but I know when hens lay eggs without shells they don't have enough calcium, maybe that also effects the color, but I would give her some calcium supplements or oyster shells

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm not sure what is going on with your hen, though it is likely that her reproductive system is having problems. I would recommend posting your question in the Emergencies section of the forums: Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures People there who are knowledgeable about many chicken ailments should be able to help.

Good luck with your hen!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

If these birds are new layers, until they get their egg laying machines in gear they can lay eggs without a shell. But always keep that calcium on hand right next to the feed and water. They will eat it as necessary.

As for the egg shell color, each hen has her own color. Brown egg layers can lay many shades of brown.

As stated above, you may want to post this in our emergency if she continues to have issues with laying.

Welcome to our flock!

I do offer oyster she'll and my leghorn eats it no problem...she was laying brown eggs when I first got her....maybe I will put some in a treat mixture.....thanks for the advice everyone....I will check the emergency section...

Back
Top Bottom