Egg colour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chezzy, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Chezzy

Chezzy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Will a hen lay the same colour egg most of the time,
    I only have two hens, lavender and Winnie,
    One lays a pale colour egg and the one that has just started laying ,has laid a lovely brown speckled egg.
    What's your experiences?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Pullets who just start laying usually don't have a full colored egg. After a month the eggs should be the color they are going to lay the rest of their life.

3. Chezzy

Chezzy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you :D

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think I've ever read the 'it takes a month before a full colored egg' thing before??

I know that the eggs a hen lays will stay pretty much the same color from the first 3-6 eggs on thru her life but can vary in a bit, in shade of color and/or pattern of speckles, every day or every so often.

They also can get progressively lighter as the egg cycle stretches out (especially very dark egg layers) before they take a break to molt, when the next egg cycle starts up the eggs will be at their darkest again lightening until the end of the cycle.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I always say it takes about a month for a hen to be producing regular shaped, colored and formed eggs. Sometimes it takes a lot less time. That's just my rule of thumb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by