1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg constantly wiggling, does it need help?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lilaby Babys, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    My light sussex egg has been wiggling non stop from day 17. whenever I go to check on it, its always wiggling from side to side. It hasn't pipped yet but I think I hear chirping so it may have pipped internally. It seems to never tire, why is it wiggling so much, does it need help? can it get out? any advice is appreciated.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    From day 17or so to hatch time the chick has to turn over. Chicks develop facing the small end and turn to the large end of the egg and air cell to hatch. If you hear peeping then it has pipped the air cell. Just give it time. The struggling is needed to build leg strength. Nothing good comes from helping. I read your other thread too. Be patient. Sit on your hands. Go outside and find a distraction before this [​IMG]. Soon you will be [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Thankyou for your help, I was a bit worried, its my first hatch without assistance and I'm using a little giant incubator, so I am hoping I will get something out of this hatch of six eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by