Egg contents orange soup - what could cause this?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HorseFeatherz NV, Oct 14, 2009.

1. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Today I opened all my unhatched eggs.

First I opened my shipped eggs – 13 eggs set total with 4 hatched. Six of the eggs had contents that were a soupy orange color – no horrible order – just soup. Two eggs were the horrible thick green of rotten eggs. One was developed to about 10 days – filled just less than half the egg.

Then I opened the egg from my girls that did not hatch. Chick filled the egg, but yolk was not absorbed.

What causes the “orange soup” in the egg? Could those eggs been scrambled during shipping? I did not candle the eggs before setting – not knowing what to look for – this was my first set of shipped eggs. I did let 11 of them sit for 24 hours before putting them under the broody hen. Two others I let sit a bit longer before incubating and then putting under a broody for the last week (one of these was the partial chick – one nasty green).

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

The orange substance is probably the yolk. I have never got shipped eggs, but when I open all my unhatched eggs, there is always the horrible orange soup. It may have been scrambling or it may just be what normally happens. [​IMG]

3. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    it is the yolk inside the egg getting busted. rough handling causes this.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The yolk either got scrambled or it was starting to break down from sitting in the incubator. If it's the latter then it would go rotten soon. You rarely break an egg that's been in the bator for more than a week and get a solid fully formed yolk. They start to come apart.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Then I am going to guess must be what normally happens to an undeveloping eggs without the bacteria. They had no smell and some of the eggs were on day 26.

6. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Some of the unhatched eggs I crack open smell others dont. [​IMG] It can happen to undeveloping eggs and DIS chicks- I had a DIS and it was still surrounded by the orange liquid.

7. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    All the ones I cracked open had that. It was like the yolk just fell apart when I cracked them open. Some were clear and the others were early quitters. I am guessing it is normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by