Egg covered in diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchicksnducks, Dec 22, 2009.

1. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

It's been cold here (30's) but not as cold as it has been (teens). But with the addition of about 2 inches of snow, my birds have not wanted to go outside. (Can't get those dainty toes in that white fluffy stuff!)[​IMG] I noticed one of the birds was leaving loose droppings on the droppings board under the roost for the past 2 days. This afternoon when I went to gather eggs again, I found a green egg in the nest box, all covered w/diarrhea. Well, at least I've narrowed the culprits down to two. Any idea what would be causing this, and what should I do to help eliminate the diarrhea? This is my first year, first winter with chickens...any help would be appreciated!

Food has been the same (Purina Layena) with scraps from kids lunches as a treat, such as leftover spaghetti, green beans, etc. They get about a cup of scratch that I toss outside in the run, but since the arrival of snow, they have not been going outside, so I held off on the scratch. Access to grit and calcium in the coop, along with their feed and heated waterer.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    I can't really help you with this, but wanted to give it a bump back to the top in case someone else could. If you've narrowed it down to two birds, you should be able to tell which one it is by looking at the vent. If it has diarrhea, it should be in the feathers around the vent.

I can't remember what to do for diarrhea in chickens just now. I give uncooked oatmeal to our rabbits and that clears it up in no time. I wonder if that would help chickens too.

Anyway, I HOPE someone who knows more than I do will pick up on this and help you. Good luck!!

3. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by