EGG COVERED IN EGG YOKE?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HAPPYCHICKENLADY17, May 19, 2019.

1. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    MY chicken just laid an egg covered in a yellow substance, looks like maybe an egg yoke...i looked for a shell thought the egg was cracked , but it was not....is that strange???

2. RustyBucketFarmGirl

RustyBucketFarmGirl Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Ohio
    So i discovered that same thing the other day and another hen must have laid an egg in the same box, crushed it and they all ate most of it. But i ended up finding yolk on quite a few with seemingly no shell.

At least that’s what happened here. Do you have more than one hen that uses that nest box?

3. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    don't be concerned, these things happen in hens first trying to lay eggs. Iv'e seen this before and we don't have any egg eaters.

4. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    IF this keeps happening, or other issues repeat as well, she may be sick.

5. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA

6. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    not many use that nesting box, they are newly built....i do not have any egg eaters this has never happened before, i dont know if there was an egg already there and another hen just laid the yoke on top of it....wish i could be there 24 /7 but i cant, so for now its a mystery

7. RustyBucketFarmGirl

RustyBucketFarmGirl Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Ohio
    So i guess i should clarify. I don’t have egg eaters. But a few ladies have shells that are not as hard as the others. And when it’s in the nesting box for the day and they just get broken. And if they are broken they are free for the eating!

When my girls first started laying we had some rubber egg issues, soft shells and all sorts of things as they were getting their systems ramped up for regular laying.

I wouldn’t be too worried unless it started to happen daily.

8. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    MAYBE i wasnt clear as to what i found...i found a regular normal egg in the nesting box, it looked like it had been dipped in egg yoke....no shells around, no trace of any other egg

RustyBucketFarmGirl likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's possible that she passed a yolk after laying the shelled egg.
    Were you right there when this happened....or find it later?
    The bedding underneath was not wet?

Shadrach likes this.
  10. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    As @aart writes, sometimes a hens reproductive system forms a new yolk before the last complete egg has been laid. As long as this isn't a regular occurrence it shouldn't be a problem. It's when they don't jettison the yolk that problems arise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: