egg covered in yolk but not broken???

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
HI All - this morning I went down to clean the coop and there were two eggs in the roost - one of them was covered with yolk but not broken. The other one wasn't broken either. I couldn't see any signs of yolk on any of their bottoms. One of my hens had yolk between her breast and bottom so it looks like she may have been sitting on the yolk-covered egg, but I didn't see any yolk near her vent etc.. Puzzling. There was cedar caked with. yolk underneath both eggs. I am wondering if one of my other hens laid a shell-less egg and then another one laid an intact egg over the place where the yolk was and got it on her??? If one of them laid a shell-less egg, is that doom? They all seem fine! They are eating, trying to break out of the run as usual LOL and feisty as ever. I put a fresh dirt bath out so the one who has egg on her tummy can bathe. Any thoughts?

HI All - this morning I went down to clean the coop and there were two eggs in the roost - one of them was covered with yolk but not broken. The other one wasn't broken either. I couldn't see any signs of yolk on any of their bottoms. One of my hens had yolk between her breast and bottom so it looks like she may have been sitting on the yolk-covered egg, but I didn't see any yolk near her vent etc.. Puzzling. There was cedar caked with. yolk underneath both eggs. I am wondering if one of my other hens laid a shell-less egg and then another one laid an intact egg over the place where the yolk was and got it on her??? If one of them laid a shell-less egg, is that doom? They all seem fine! They are eating, trying to break out of the run as usual LOL and feisty as ever. I put a fresh dirt bath out so the one who has egg on her tummy can bathe. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 6IlSxSbxRXCsfNRouB%xtg.jpg
    6IlSxSbxRXCsfNRouB%xtg.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Ga6iiCu6RAGP8zvNZ+qirA.jpg
    Ga6iiCu6RAGP8zvNZ+qirA.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 7
Nobody???

I have had this happen before. Usually a soft shell or hard shell will break and the hens will eat the shell before I collect the eggs so I am left with a few intact messy eggs.

I have had this happen before. Usually a soft shell or hard shell will break and the hens will eat the shell before I collect the eggs so I am left with a few intact messy eggs.
×2
If one of them laid a shell-less egg, is that doom?
If it is a shell-less egg the hen who laid it should be fine, that just happens sometimes. Just make sure they have enough calcium, like layer feed and/or you can set out some oyster shells for them to help themselves if needed.

Back
Top Bottom