Egg covered in yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erinzurface, Oct 7, 2016.

1. erinzurface

erinzurface New Egg

May 6, 2016
    I went out this afternoon to get eggs and one of them was COVERED in yolk. Only 2.5 of my 6 ate laying...i say 2.5 because one of my reds just started laying and ive only gotten a few from her...so my Leghorns are my regulars right now...and like i said one egg was covered in yolk...im worried about a busted egg maybe?? They are all fine in attitude and temperment...running around and eating...clucking at me when i go out past the coop with no treats...lol...any ideas??? (This is my first rodeo with chickens)

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    As your birds are new layers, my first thought were I to walk into this situation in my coop would be that someone had laid a soft-shelled or shell-less egg and it got on the other egg.
    You may want to closely examine the area the egg was found in to see if you can find ANY scrap of shell materiel, which would indicate possible breakage of the egg that lead to consumption of the shell and the rest of the egg materiel beyond what was on the other egg - but given your description I would consider this a very unlikely scenario.
    As you are not noting any unusual behavior I would not give it another thought - unless I noted a behavior change in any of the birds.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Agrees.....a soft or thin shelled egg was laid, and broken, and eaten.
    Not an unusual event with new layers.
    If you don't find such an egg quickly, the only evidence is soiled eggs and/or a 'wet spot'.

Wash and refrigerate the soiled eggs, toss the soiled nest bedding, clean the nest thoroughly, and add fresh bedding.

I check nests frequently with new layers to catch these things asap.....
    .....but am retired with lots of time on my hands.

4. erinzurface

erinzurface New Egg

May 6, 2016
    Thank for your responses...there was no shells in the boxes just the layed egg covered in yolk...all my ladies are still ornery as usual [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They usually eat the shell or membrane up pretty quick...and all the egg they can get their beaks on...all that left is a mess
    Check the bedding thoroughly, a lot of the liquid seeps down to the bottom of nest under bedding and will stink to high heaven in a few days if not cleaned out.

6. erinzurface

erinzurface New Egg

May 6, 2016
    Thank you all for your advice!! As i said this is my first run with my ladies and im full of questions. .lol...ive fully cleaned and rebeded their boxes and they are happy little chickens waiting on b their new bigger run.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There are SO many questions that first year.... tons of info to learn discover and absorb....it's like getting a sip of water out of a firehose.
    Plenty of folks here to answer all your questions, keep asking them!

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So well put, @aart !

9. erinzurface

erinzurface New Egg

May 6, 2016
    Thank you all SO much! I fully plan i asking away...im so glad i stumbled across this site [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hens that are just laying can lay a shelled egg and at the time of lay a yolk passed also in the egg shell forming stage...She just needs to work the kinks out...Very normal...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by