egg cracked before being laid, pic

Sassafras

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
N.H.
It is cracked but it healed over a bit in the hen it appears. This hen has always had kind of odd shaped eggs. When you tap them they sound like porcelain. Just an odd sound. They all get supplemental oyster shell and organic layer feed. Do you think she may not be eating enough of the oyster shell?

76934_egg_cracked_in_hen.jpg

I'm not sure about the egg being cracked before coming out, but good thing it came out instead of breaking inside of her! But, I know what you are talking about regarding the porcelain sounding/feeling egg. I have a hen that lays one like that. Are yours fairly easy to crack? Mine are. I don't know what's wrong. She used to lay good hard shell eggs & now she doesn't.

Mine gets free choice oyster shell along with layer pellets that has calcium in it.

Mine hasn't been laying due to either molting or the shorter days or colder weather or a combination of all. I'm hoping when she starts back laying that she will have more normal shells.

I think she had a normal egg today. One just seems to lay odd shaped eggs more often than not.

Back
Top Bottom