egg cracked in shipment...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perfectly_polish, May 12, 2008.

1. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I got some mottled houdan and white houdan eggs today, all where fine except one, it was cracked but nothing was leaking out. I would hate to throw this egg away, could I mend up the crack with wax and stick in the 'bator and hope for the best? Or would it be best to just chuck it..[​IMG]

2. nutmeggie

nutmeggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I have heard a lot of people say to put wax on the egg. Might as well try it. Worse that can happen is it wont hatch later but there is the chance it will hatch. Might as well try.

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Try the wax. Give it a chance. I just got all my babies hatched and one looks like it's a silver "pokie". It has a polis head and a silkie body and 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other. It's so cute! Good luck with your eggies!

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Congrats on the babies! I can't wait to see pics! When I put wax on the egg, do I just use normal candle wax and just put it over the crack?

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know. I just saw someone on here that patched an egg with wax but I don't remember who it was.

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I should have tried the wax myself. I ordered from Meyer with this hatch and one arrived with a little splinter crack. I completely forgot about it and stuck it in the bator. I candled the eggs the past two days and the embryo seems to be growing, alive and well.

Should I add the wax now or just leave it be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by