Egg cracked!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caweeleilsax, Apr 3, 2018.

1. caweeleilsax

caweeleilsax In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    So my hen laid 1 egg an stole 2 from the other hen who isn't broody.the eggs are already formin into chicks. I went out there an 1 is slightly cracked!! What do I do? Will it survive? The crack isn't that deep the film wasn't broken. Smh I was really looking forward to the three chicks!!!! Please help me!!

chonsey likes this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    How long has she been setting on them? Have you candled them? Please read "hatching eggs 101" in the learning center to gain information about embryo development, how to candle an egg, and how to manage a cracked egg.

3. caweeleilsax

Apr 3, 2018
    Yes I candled them the embryo is there it's been 8-10 days. She still sitting on them.it just happened last night or early this morning because I checked on her and eggs around 2am this morning.they we're fine!I'm really worried though.

chonsey likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    read the article I mentioned.

chonsey likes this.
  5. caweeleilsax

Apr 3, 2018
    That article ddnt help me period!!! It didn't mention anything about a cracked egg!!!!!! Smh.

chonsey likes this.
  6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    have you done a thread search for cracked eggs?

caweeleilsax and chonsey like this.
  7. morganalefae

morganalefae Head nut at the nut house

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    I have the same issue but my crack is super fine. I heard you can use plain no smell candle wax to seal it as long as it's not near the air cell. someone has tried liquid banadge stuff like what drs and stuff use. some place I read on tried clear packing tape. and another place said they had a super fine crack they just left it alone and nothing happend to the chick inside and it hatched out fine. how true the last on is I have no clue. but a lot of people seem to u candle wax.. my try a kids crayon and melt it on there.

caweeleilsax and chonsey like this.
  8. caweeleilsax

Apr 3, 2018
    Thank you so much!! I YouTubed and uncle goat said to use candle wax. I did hopefully it'll be ok.

9. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    I got an egg from a breeder with a tiny dent on the side of the fat end, I brushed clear nail polish on it. Looked good as far as I can tell at day 14 when I candled last!

caweeleilsax likes this.
  10. caweeleilsax

Apr 3, 2018
    Awesome!!! I was scared to use the Polish for fear of chemicals!! But maybe I'll try that next time. Let me know if ur baby hatches out ok!!!!

morganalefae and WhiteWyan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: