egg cracked,

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by n2h20, Jan 27, 2009.

1. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    So i have two older girls that are laying,, have been, everything is good with them. I have a RIR that is a few months younger and just began laying, she is at the bottom of the totem pole. the older two peck at her every once and awhile, as they do to the other 2 smaller chicks. The RIR has laid maybe 3 eggs in the last week, 2 of them were smashed, broken when i checked. Once was in the nest and only noticed it after the "alpha" hen had laid her egg, the second egg was outside the nest on the floor smashed. IS it possible the alpha hen is pecking the egg for dominance, or is it likely that MAYBE they are just getting smashed by coincidence? I have yet to have a broken egg before this. This is annoying and hope i don't have an "egg breaker" on my hands..
    if so what can i do to prevent this?
    besides collecting the eggs as soon as it is laid.

thanks,,,,

2. Padre

Padre Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    How many nest boxes do you have? In my uneducated opinion you have a hen that does not like for others to use "her" nest. I think I would separate her from the others and see what happens. Chris

3. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    2 boxes... 5 chickens, they do seem to alternate nest, however the "left" box gets more use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by