Egg Cycles?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jabina, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jabina

jabina Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    So I have a BR who has been laying 2 months now and an EE who has been laying a month, and I can't figure out their laying cycles.

This might be a weird question but does one hen influence another's laying cycle, sort of like women who associate closely with each other for long periods?

The reason I ask is that that my BR has been laying fairly regularly every other day since she started, with a few two in a rows but not many. When my EE started laying, she laid two days and then off one for almost two weeks. Then all of a sudden, she took a 2 day break, and started laying every other day with my BR.

It's possible I have contrary hens; they don't even lay together. My EE digs herself a hole in the pine shavings in the coop, and my BR lays in a box complex in the run.

Is this weird or do I just not recognize normal? I read enough to know that they aren't regular for a while after they start and with the start of the changing season in NM from winter, they will start to produce more regularly.

Thanks!

2. jabina

jabina Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    So weirdly enough, after this post, the chickie who was not laying in the nesting area began to lay with her sister. After a few days she went and dug herself a hole in the wood shavings in the coop where she used to lay, and lay one there. But her next egg as was back in the nesting area.
    Is she confused all of a sudden?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by