Egg Date stamp- Food grade ink??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cindy in PA, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I was looking at the store eggs today and wondering what they use to date their eggs. The Weis & Eggland brands all have a use by date on the egg. Is there such a thing as food grade ink or is it regular? Would love to see the machine that stamps the eggs as they go by!!

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

some companies are using lasers to mark the date in the egg.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes there is such a thing as food grade ink. It's basically just a variation of food coloring.

4. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Laser dating of eggs is a new thing in the US, recently approved by the USDA, and you are likely to see more of it. Dating on individual eggs has been done in Europe for some time, but most of that has been with ink.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Thanks everyone, I have just been very curious. I can't remember if the date came off when I boiled some this summer, before my chicks were laying. I always thought it was a stamp, I've seen black & red. What would a laser print look like?

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

the Eb is a stamp I think but not sure.... usually the laser marks are black since its burnt into the shell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by