Egg - Day 29, looks like day 18, but still alive o.O

Oceanseve

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Guthrie, OK
Can someone explain this? Four of his mates have hatched, but this one looks way under developed. I left him in the turner when I put the others in lockdown. He really is not progressing at all, but there is a LOT of movement in the egg. He is definitely alive. How did this happen? I'm going to wait it out till he either fills the egg or dies I guess.

Just like with humans and other animals- ducks can have fetal development problems too. It could just be that this little one is not going to make it- but dont give up hope yet- It could just be that he is the wrong way in the egg and the clear area you see is where the yolk has ended up. I had a duckling like this a while ago- the egg looked way behind in development and the aircell was very small- I was extremely surprised when a day after every other duckling had hatched that I found the pip in the wrong end of the egg. The little one did make it out alive too.

Sometimes and egg left in a colder spot in the incubator can be late too- id your incubator fan forced? If not- you should rotate the eggs around to different places in the incubator to avoid eggs being in the same spot for the whole 28 days. .

I got a fan to add to it since my chicken hatch rate was so bad. as soon as it's empty I'm going to. Thanks for the story it makes me have a little bit of hope for him. I tried to take pictures last night, but my camera didn't like the dark. It is a large space he is not occupying, bigger than a yolk.

Celtic - Not only is it moving when the egg is still, but when I take him out of the incubator to candle I can feel him thumping the egg. This guy is strong. When I candle it, it's not like hm, I think I see movement. I can see him move his head, his wing. It's very obvious movement.

Day 29 over and day 30 starting, what do you know he pipped, I ran him to the hatcher as fast as I could and sprayed him with water, we'll see what happens I guess. I'm post a pic when he hatches.

Last edited:

This si the egg and this was from last night. Candling the small end you can see the space goes up into a V shape. It goes even higher than the pic shows. I mean this is gonna be a very small bird

He hatched, I did help him out a little bit. He has a herniated naval and he's on the small side. I looked at the shell and the membrane at the small end is pulled away from the shell, not sure if that happened during hatching or if that is the reason he didn't fill the shell entirely. I'll post pics once I find my camera. He wasn't as fluffed as I wanted him to be but he was crying so much this morning I went ahead and moved him in with his siblings, he's quiet now so I guess he is happy. fingers crossed he makes it.

Great news-
wee.gif
A good reason why its a good idea to sometimes give a slow egg a little more time- strangely enough- I now have a slow poke myself- 3 hatched this afternoon but the last egg is behind, still alive since I can see movement- and the egg is all dark, no clear spots... Must be another back-to- fronter....

Hope your little late one soon catches up with the others and is running around the brooder without any signs of his rough start to life.

Back
Top Bottom