Egg...dead or alive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Attack Chicken, May 23, 2010.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a bantam SLW that was due to hatch Friday. One hatched just as expected on Friday under 1 broody(all eggs under 2 broodies) but the other egg the last I candled was moving. Now the egg is 2 days late and I candled but nothing I could see was moving. Is there any ind of tests I can do to see (without breaking) if the chick is still alive? I have another baby my friend Schultz hatched and was hoping the broody with this egg under her would accept it.

2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    You can bob it - put it in a bowl of WARM water and see if it bobs around. Wrap it first in cling film/food wrap and leave a tail at each end, that amplifies the movements in the egg. And do it quickly! 30 seconds should be enough incase it does get wet and chill.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Did you listen for chirping or tapping? If you're not seeing anything and not hearing anything, chances are it's dead.

When I have that happen and I'm pretty sure it's gone (and I'm usually right), I carefully open the shell over the air cell. If by some chance I am wrong and the baby is alive, I can assess whether it needs help hatching and it can still hatch quite well even with the hole in the air cell. If I am right, then I can quit wondering.

Good luck!

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I did what SarahIrl said to do and no movement at all. I candled again and listened but didn't see any movement or hear any cheeping. The blackness is all near the bottom of the egg and not near the aircell... Good news is that mama hen took to a little serama chick and is now happy as can be.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The entire egg except the air sac will be dark on an egg that made it to full development. If it's not all dark the chick died days if not a week or more ago anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by