Egg determination

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alwayswantchics, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    I have a standard backyard flock with 5 different breeds. My question is besides watching them lay their eggs is there any way I can determine which hen layed which egg.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    What breeds do you have? Based on size and color of egg you might be able to know. Any hen with a white earlobe will lay a white egg.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    I believe I have a buff orpinton, a delaware, an A
    australorp, a plymouth rock and a RIR.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    hmm. That is going to be trickier as they all lay mediumish light brown eggs I believe. I think you will probably have to observe their behavior with this flock.

5. bje117

bje117 New Egg

Jul 15, 2012
    Most chickens lay at slightly different times and you can watch and see who lays where and often tell by color and shape. I had four hens that all laid light brown eggs, but one laid oblong, one closer to round and one slightly darker, etc.
    If you catch the hen while it is laying you can take a CD marker and write the initials of the hen on the egg or just lump them all together and take your chances!

You can also separate one with a crate or box and collect eggs that way if you only want eggs from that hen.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by