Egg Development*****Day 20 Update*****

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Country Guy John, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    This evening at about 7:00 p.m. would begin what is day 20 and when I home I 2 that have already begun to pip. I will keep you posted.

I currently have my first set of jersey giant eggs in the incubator that are on day 18. This evening, I will take them off of the automatic turner and increase the humidity to about 60%.

The temp has been at 100 and the humidity has been kept at 40-43%. After this is done, I know that I should keep the incubator closed and maintain the temp and humidity. Im very glad that i have the picture window.

I have a question for you experts. I know that much of this is a waiting game.

When candling the eggs, I see what appears to be very good formation. At around day 11 or 12 I could see the blood vessels. I can plainly see the air sac at the large end of the egg but the small end is completley dark and I can't see anything move in most cases. I would like to know if this is what I am supposed to be seeing at this point. On a couple, I can see some slight movement. Maybe I dont have a well trained eye.

I guess that I am not pro and it comes with experience.

Any thoughts or suggestions? You guys and gals have been very helpful.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes as the eggs get older and the chicks get bigger you will see less movement if any at all (kind of like a baby in the womb) that is normal. On day 18ish the egg should look full except for the air sac.

Also dont foget to take out your vent plugs.

Good luck, hope you post pics

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by