Egg didn't hatch on due date!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken farmer, Mar 2, 2014.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I have 6 eggs in the incubator(all due different dates) and they are all from my backyard flock,a silkie egg was due yesterday and still hasn't started pipping out. And I candled it from day 3 and it has been growing and growing and it's all black inside you can't see anything now except the little air pocket at the bottom. And like I said I candled it all the way through and seen it get bigger but I'm wandering if I should hurry and crack/peel the egg open to help it out????? I need help A.S.A.P. thanks in advance!!! [​IMG]

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

This method always works. Ok, in the wild, when eggs get ready to hatch, hens will gently peck and cluck to summon the chicks to come out. I take the eggs hold them against my ear and tap the egg with my fingernail and the chick will chirp or I lean over the incubator and "cluck" to them. This method works. If your Silkie chick doesn't chirp, keep doing this method until day 24. After day 24, toss it.

3. chickenlver2013

And by the way, DO NOT CRACK THE EGG OPEN. That will certainly kill the chick.

4. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Thank you I will try this

5. chickenlver2013

Give updates :)

6. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I juts tapped it with my nail a bit and clucked to it and didn't hear anything and candled it real quick and still only seen a air pocket and the rest black

1 person likes this.
  7. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    But I'm definitely leaving it in a few more days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by