Egg differences from same pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yellowdog2, Dec 16, 2018.

1. yellowdog2

yellowdog2 In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2018
    Hi there - I have a buff pullet - (she's about 6 months old) who just started laying a few weeks ago. Once she started, she's been pretty consistent, laying one egg a day with little variation in size and color. The last couple of days, she's been off a little, laying 2 eggs in one day and none the next. That doesn't concern me as much as the appearance of them. Is something wrong with her? I'm worried about nutritional deficiencies or something like that. Right now, she's the only hen laying, so I'm sure that the eggs are both hers. Edited to add: It looks like yolk smeared on the first, the second speckled egg was still warm when I collected it, so it must have been the second laid.
    Eggs.JPG

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Moving fast through the paint booth. Give her time to get her egg machine in top working order..:frow

yellowdog2 likes this.
  3. It's a common occurrence in young layers. her body is still trying to get things straight.

yellowdog2 likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you positive?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
    Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
    Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
    Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

yellowdog2 and MotherOfChickens like this.
  5. yellowdog2

yellowdog2 In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2018
    I found out that you are in fact, correct. The younger pullet is laying those different types of eggs - I had no idea. She's only about 5 months old, so I didn't think it was her...but I found her on the nest yesterday and shortly thereafter, a beautiful little egg was laid.

aart and 1cock2hens like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: