Egg drop off

DamienT

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 2, 2012
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I have 3 BR's about 6 months old. For the last few weeks we were getting an egg everyday and maybe 2 every other day or so. But for the last week it has dropped off, I think we've gotten 1 every other day.

All 3 are behaving normally, could it be I'm not giving a calcium supplement? I feed them their own shells though. Is that sufficient?

Well I just talked to a guy at the feed store. He says its probably due to weather as the days are starting to get shorter.

My question now is, Light or No Light? And why?

I personally would add in more calcium supplement.

Could they be molting?

Anything that could be stressing them?

I'm not a fan of lights in the coop. I prefer giving my birds a chance to rest their bodies than force them into laying all the time.

Last edited:
The days getting shorter is right. I add light in the morning on a timer set for 5:30, since my cockerel is crowing at that time anyways, I figured they might as well start their day then. I don't have it come on at night though. I want them to have the ability to lay longer as they age, They are pets as well as producers.

I personally would add in more calcium supplement.

Could they be molting?

Anything that could be stressing them?

I'm not a fan of lights in the coop. I prefer giving my birds a chance to rest their bodies than force them into laying all the time.
The egg shells are pretty stout as is so far. I'm not totally sure if they're molting, I haven't noticed extra feathers laying about. Shouldn't be stressed, I don't think. Nothing has changed. I think we're leaning towards no light. Give them an honest good life, I know I hate being woke up to early!

Back
Top Bottom