Egg drop off

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DamienT, Sep 26, 2012.

1. DamienT

DamienT Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    I have 3 BR's about 6 months old. For the last few weeks we were getting an egg everyday and maybe 2 every other day or so. But for the last week it has dropped off, I think we've gotten 1 every other day.

All 3 are behaving normally, could it be I'm not giving a calcium supplement? I feed them their own shells though. Is that sufficient?

2. DamienT

May 2, 2012
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Well I just talked to a guy at the feed store. He says its probably due to weather as the days are starting to get shorter.

My question now is, Light or No Light? And why?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally would add in more calcium supplement.

Could they be molting?

Anything that could be stressing them?

I'm not a fan of lights in the coop. I prefer giving my birds a chance to rest their bodies than force them into laying all the time.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    The days getting shorter is right. I add light in the morning on a timer set for 5:30, since my cockerel is crowing at that time anyways, I figured they might as well start their day then. I don't have it come on at night though. I want them to have the ability to lay longer as they age, They are pets as well as producers.

5. DamienT

May 2, 2012
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    The egg shells are pretty stout as is so far. I'm not totally sure if they're molting, I haven't noticed extra feathers laying about. Shouldn't be stressed, I don't think. Nothing has changed. I think we're leaning towards no light. Give them an honest good life, I know I hate being woke up to early!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by