Egg Eater frustrations

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TazGal, Dec 21, 2016.

1. TazGal

TazGal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    I have a Rhode Island Red that started eating her eggs. I tried to check frequently to get the egg without any luck. But at least she only ate her own egg and didn't touch the others. Then she started eating everyone else's egg as well. At this point I brought her into the house and she has been a few days in 'eggzile' living in a dog crate in my entryway. I am watching her like a hawk and do you think I can beat her to that egg? No sirree! She lays it and immediately whips around and eats it before I can reach the crate. She is getting 17% protein layer feed pellets, with warm 19% protein layer mash. She gets meal worm treats, vegetable scraps and although I just ran out, she gets oyster shell. I have even added calcium supplement to her food. Her diet is better than mine! I've held the shell in front of her and yelled no and shook my finger at her and even when I'm cleaning out the egg she is trying to reach in and grab some...I have to push her out of the way. What is with her!!?? I'm am right frustrated with all of this and I don't know what more I can do. At least inside, it keeps her away from the other eggs of which I'm not getting much because I have a small flock. The other RI isn't laying at all and of the 3 young bantams I recently got, only two have started laying. So I'm getting 2 tiny little eggs a day. I cringed and gritted my teeth the other day when I had to buy a carton of eggs at the store for christmas baking. Grrrrrr! I've ordered ceramic eggs but they haven't arrived yet. Has anyone tried those? Do they work? Supposedly they peck at them and hurt their beak because they're hard, and it conditions them not to go after the eggs anymore. Has anyone had success with this? I don't want to cull her...she was my first hen and I'm a little attached. But I'm right frustrated and mad as hell at this point.

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Roll away nests are probably the best answer. I'm always a bit sceptical about fake eggs and your problem is beating her to her egg before she eats it still so that she no longer gets any reward from pecking eggs. I saw a great video the other day that someone had posted about making simple roll away nests with paint trays....the ones that are raised at one end. The man had built a small open sided trough along the front of his nest boxes, with a lid that lifted up and placed the trays into the nest boxes with the bottom few inches of the paint tray obscured by the trough lid. He lined the tray with that plastic grass stuff that fruit and vegetable sellers sometimes use to display their produce and that seemed to work a treat.
    I'll try to find the video and link it.

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hopefully this link works for you

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Lay off the low protein treats. Is it possible that she's just cleaning up after broken or shell-less eggs? That's completely normal. When was the last time she was wormed? Could be that she's protein deficient due to a high parasite load.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by