Egg Eater in my Coop !!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 7L Farm, Apr 15, 2012.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yep !! There I was calmly collecting eggs & this guy tried to bite me. Nope not today. Got my machete & ended this ordeal. I know snakes are great. There great when their not in my coop . When I got back from getting my machete the snake had my egg in his mouth & that really chapped my arse.First he tried to bite me & now he's trying to eat my eggs. Sorry Charlie !![​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't like to kill snakes; it's actually illegal in Arkansas. But you are allowed to protect yourself and your property. Sometimes you do what you have to do.

To me, when I notice the number of eggs I get drop significantly about every two or three days, I have a pretty good idea what is going on. They usually don't visit me daily when they find the eggs, but maybe every two or three days for about 4 or so eggs at a time.

It's a shame too. There are always plenty of mice if they would just concentrate on them. That's why I don't do anything until I catch them actually eating eggs. I like having non-poisonous snakes around.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Me too. But if their actually eating my eggs like this guy was. I'm pretty sure he would be back again.But one things for sure this guy isn't coming back.

4. wsonphan80

wsonphan80 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    Looks like you have a nice new snakeskin belt ;)

5. Phyrst

Phyrst Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    eastern shore of MD

I'm just curious, do you know what kind of snake this is? I live on eastern shore of MD. They say we don't have any poisonous snakes here. This looks like a constrictor.

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I think its a Texas Rat Snake. Non Venomous .

7. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    [​IMG]
    Yup.....Texas Rat Snake

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by