Egg eater/odd behavior

Dec 2, 2020
I have 7 pullets. All under a year old. 4 of them are 5 month old Icelandics.

They refuse to lay anywhere but on the ground. I’ve set up 2 separate laying boxes with the hole 🕳 on top. They all lay there except my RIR.

A week ago I dropped an egg and the whole crew devoured it in about 15 seconds.

Later I watched the 2 buff Icelandics crowd the RIR for a few minutes and they attacked her vent as the egg was being laid. They did not do it today. No other eggs are eaten.

The same 2 buff Icies will spend part of the day running back and forth between the two nesting boxes and looking inside. They both lay in those boxes, so they have access, and can easily get in and out.

Are they searching for only RIR eggs?

I have 7 pullets. All under a year old. 4 of them are 5 month old Icelandics.

They refuse to lay anywhere but on the ground. I’ve set up 2 separate laying boxes with the hole 🕳 on top. They all lay there except my RIR.

A week ago I dropped an egg and the whole crew devoured it in about 15 seconds.

Later I watched the 2 buff Icelandics crowd the RIR for a few minutes and they attacked her vent as the egg was being laid. They did not do it today. No other eggs are eaten.

The same 2 buff Icies will spend part of the day running back and forth between the two nesting boxes and looking inside. They both lay in those boxes, so they have access, and can easily get in and out.

Are they searching for only RIR eggs?
I dont think they are only searching for RIR eggs. Sometimes when I break an egg, my flock also devours it in seconds. This could teach them to keep on doing it. You have to give them more calcium if they are continuously eating their eggs.
Keep crushed oyster shell as a free choice to them 24/7

They refuse to lay anywhere but on the ground.....but they are all(except RIR) laying in nests? Which is it?

Pics of nests with "hole on top"?

They refuse to lay anywhere but on the ground.....but they are all(except RIR) laying in nests? Which is it?

Pics of nests with "hole on top"?

They won’t lay in these or 2 others if installed properly. Only if they are a little open top cave.

The RIR egg laid today remains.

Attachments

• EE491C32-B509-4320-B3D2-768537E532D5.jpeg
    EE491C32-B509-4320-B3D2-768537E532D5.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom