Egg eater!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hollywood Chickens, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have 12 hens and for the past few days more and more egg have been found broken and half eaten.

So how do I find the egg eater and what should I do with her? she broke 5 eggs today!

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I don't know the best method, but one that I have seen repeatedly suggested, is to blow out an egg, and refill with hot mustard. Replace it in the nest, and when she pecks into it, the taste should cure her. I guess you could do that with multiple eggs, as she has been breaking numerous eggs per day.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Another idea is the roll away nest box inserts. This will get the eggs away from the offender before she can break them.

4. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have 6 nesting boxes but they still lay in milk crates.

I like the mustard idea!! we found some droppings in the coop filled with egg white so for now we are just watching to see who is pooping egg white, so far 4 hens are off the list [​IMG]

5. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I put a mustard filled egg in the nesting box and I found my best layer with mustard all over her face eating it! she loves mustard!!! [​IMG] and it has to be my best layer!

6. Valley Girl

Valley Girl Out Of The Brooder

That's not what I was expecting you to say Hollywood!!! I have an egg eater as well but not sure which one it is [​IMG] We have 25 layers,so unless I'm right there I don't know which one it is.I have started to get the eggs out sooner though because it seems to only happen first thing in the morning.
    I have another 49 new layers that won't be ready for another 8 weeks.....it's going to be interesting. I wonder what else you could put in the blown out egg ....... maybe some dish soap [​IMG] that wouldn't taste good!!

7. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    That's crazy! I've always heard they hate mustard! I would give the dish soap thing a go, but who knows, you may have a bunch of hens hiccuping bubbles! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    vinegar or jalapeno juice

9. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I thought it was her, but them I saw her lay an egg and walk out of the nest.

So now I think I am going to fill an egg with dish soap and blue food coloring so that I can finally find out who it is!!

10. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:Ooooo, good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by