Egg eater

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by bluegoose, Apr 18, 2011.

1. bluegoose

bluegoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    all of my ringnecks have been laying for about a month. but my red goldens were not laying so i though maybe its still to early for reds. while I was getting the eggs from my ringnecks I checked on my reds pen and saw a egg broken.for three days in a row I found eggs busted so I tried the egg test I put two of my ringnecks eggs in with them and nothing happend.untill I saw one of my red hens lay a egg and as soon as she walked away from the egg the red roo ran over and started beating the crap out of it not eating it just busting it.I have never seen a roo do that before he would wait untill she dropped the egg and then attack it he didnt touch the ringneck eggs.Im glad I had some extra red roos He now lives in a cage in someones home like a parrot he just stands there and looks pretty.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    He May Be Smarter Than You Give Him Credit For... I Mean No Kids, No Child Support Payments... [​IMG]

I Dunno Maybe Its Just My Twisted Past... [​IMG]

3. glscottjr

glscottjr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    [​IMG] Very true though!!

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sounds like pre child abuse to me.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Does your hen have a secluded spot or brush pile to lay her eggs in? Try putting some cover in so she can lay without the male seeing it. If it continues, separate them and let her lay a clutch without the presence of the rooster. She will be fertile enough to lay a clutch, and then put them together to breed again. Continue as needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by