1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg eater

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Knittycat, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I've had an egg pecker in my flock for some time, but I haven't been able to figure out which bird it was. Well, that egg pecker has turned into an egg eater, and it turns out she's my only blue egg layer! Say it aint so!! I'm so bummed.

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Have you tried blowing out a few shells and filling them with hot mustard/hot sauce? I heard once that was one way to try breaking them of egg eating. I had one that I finally caught, and it turned out to be the hen that I never liked anyways. After a few tries at breaking her of it I just butchered her. She was mean anyway.

3. sparkles2307

BUT, if its ur only blue layer I'd wait on the butchering bit haha!

4. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I have. She's a clever little hen. She eats the one she just laid, that way she knows it's a real egg. She's also the only bird with all her tail feathers. I may just have to do her in. I don't want to process just one chicken though. It's an awful lot of work for an old stringy scrawny bird.

5. sparkles2307

Hermmmmm that does stink for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by