Egg-Eater!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliefarms, Sep 14, 2012.

1. juliefarms

juliefarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    I have four hens, two of which lay almost daily, one who lays spuratically and one that hardly lays at all (as far as I can tell). I acquired them not knowing how old they are, so I presume that the tapering off of the laying is just a few of them showing their age.
    Anyway, with these chickens I acquired some ducks, with a mallard, but decided that ducks weren't for me. Gave them away to a great home. But since then..

The almost-never laying hen has become the bossy hen of the group and has, you guessed it, started eating eggs. Everyone's. I haven't gotten an egg in over a week. I have caught her eating broken ones and put some golf balls in my nesting box only to witness her going crazy pecking them. Even since golf ball introduction, still no eggs. My coop is not nearly big enough (bigger coop in progress very soon! yay!) and I can understand eggs being broken or eaten if say, they have been cooped up in their run for a while and are bored, or I don't let them out early enough in the morning. No matter how fast I am or how often I check, she beats me. They will literally be free ranging all day and when she sees another hen returning to the coop to lay she will follow and hover over them, waiting to chow down.

Any suggestions on a way to correct this behaviour is welcome. If not, I'm going to have to part with her, she's become a nightmare. Would getting a rooster correct her? I'm afraid for my close neighbours.

Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would get rid of her before she gets the others started on egg eating.

3. juliefarms

juliefarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    It's so depressing. Do you think if I secluded her from the rest for a while and reintroduced her she would knock it off? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by