1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg eater

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ten-acre-farms, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ten-acre-farms

ten-acre-farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    I have had chickens for almost a year and have had no problems till now. I went our to the coop and found a egg licked clean with a half eaten shell in the nest. I think it may be a hen but what do you think? I guess it could be a rat but the wire you can't even stick a finger through and I have the bottom buried in rock.

2. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    I find that almost all hens will eat an egg now and then. lots of times its because an egg got cracked in the nest or, more often, it was laid from the roost and cracked when it landed. Hens are curious. They explore the world with there beaks and will peck at anything unusual and once they take a peck and find something tasty keep pecking.

It doesn't always mean you are going to have an egg eater problem.

3. ileggs

ileggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Chicago IL
    I always drop eggs!! And when I do drop an egg my chickens eat the whole thing! I just hope they don't figure out that they lay that treat everyday!! It is good protein for them!! I would not worry about just one egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by