Egg Eaters and soft eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sparks, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    I have a chicken that consisantly lays a soft egg on their shelf. Not sure which one.I think because of this they have become egg eaters. They have plenty of feed, oyster shell and grit. Also get a small amt. of treats. I may get one or two eggs a day and find yolks in the nest. These are going to be two years old. I wonder if we should cull? Definately caught the GLW in the act. Also tried the wooden eggs. They kick them out of the box. Any other suggestions?[​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have an old japanese hen who lays soft shelled eggs all the time, she eats them as well but doesn't bother the ones that aren't soft shelled. If they eat all the eggs then yes i would cull because there isn't a way to break them of that.

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you put just her in a cage? See if it stops then, if it does your problem has been solved if not.......well you may want to consider getting new hens.

4. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    I would try to seperate her but I think there are several. Thanks for the replies. I am @ a loss!

5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    [​IMG] ...mmmmm soft shelled egg...

6. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    If their anything like soft shelled crab, they have to be good.

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I'm sorry, I know this is a serious question, but it's striking me as so darn funny. My chickens have NEVER layed a rooster, my rooster on the other hand.................

8. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. winniegirl

winniegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    OK, I"m not too proud to ask, but I can't figure out what you all are talking about. So please explain the phrase "lays a soft shelled rooster" Cause I haven't had any coffee today and I just don't get it! [​IMG]

On the other hand, I COMPLETELY understand what bangor777
    is describing....no further explanation necessary [​IMG]

10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Well now when you type E G G anywhere on the site it comes up rooster.

Just take a wild guess what today is... don't type that either... you'll get another strange phrase. Its almost like backwards madlibs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by