1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg eaters just about ready to be dinner...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jul 15, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Okay, I have caught a few of them "yolk beaked" or red handed whatever you prefer. I put golf balls in the laying boxes...watched them peck at them for a long time and then walk away. Only to find evidence of another eaten egg a while later. I have given them oyster shell and fed their own shells back to them. They all seemed to go for it and I now leave it out for them all the time. I have religiously been down to the coop several times a day to collect eggs and still am only getting at the most 6 eggs a day from a flock of 18. I think I am losing at least 2-4 eggs a day to eaters. So today I filled an egg with mustard and put it in the box. They have left that one alone, but I have still only collected 2 eggs. My one SLW seems to want to hang out in the coop and wait for a hen to get off of a nest....she will be the first one to hit the stock pot. It makes me sad to have to cull so soon. I have had this flock for less than two weeks. [​IMG] However I am fearful that something a few hens are doing now could turn into a whole flock situation real soon and then what????

So I am in the process of trying to find someone who can butcher and process them for me...I just don't know if I have it in me yet to do it myself...

If anyone else has any other suggestions I would be open to giving them a stay of execution....

Oh, and right now the way their coop is set up I can't convert it to the roll away boxes. But my husband is considering how to modify our coop...but that could be several weeks down the road.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I didn't think I did, either, but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Either way, you'll know what is right for you.

I found that completely changing the nest box, only having one, making it very small (mine is about 12 inches square and about 16 inches deep, and mounting it about 3 1/2 to 4 feet off the ground helped a lot -- out of sight, out of mind. And, by having one box with 9 hens, I think they push each other off of it rapidly, not leaving a lot of time to sit there and think "hmmm, that looks tasty".

Good luck.

3. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Well that is something I have not thought of...I have 8 boxes in that coop...perhaps I cut 5 out of the equation. It is not uncommon for their to be three at a time in there laying. Thanks for the idea...they might get a few more days of life...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by