Egg-eaters... sigh ... anyone got plans for roll-away nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SCMtn.ChickenRanch, Jan 8, 2010.

1. SCMtn.ChickenRanch

SCMtn.ChickenRanch New Egg

Jan 8, 2010
    Hey there. Just discovered that my chickens like to eat eggs. I'd like to retrofit their nesting boxes (just two boxes) so the eggs roll away from them. I've searched for plans but haven't seen any. Anyone?

Thanks.

-s

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear that. I can't help you with the roll-away as I managed the problem without them. How old are your hens? (young ones may have soft shells, and they often eat these) What is their diet? Some things that you can try that might help are--
    --make sure they have enough protein (some high protein snacks, cut back on scratch, other treats)
    --make sure they have oyster shell available at all times (even if they are on layer feed)
    --put an egg shaped stone in each nest box (ouch!)
    --cover the nest boxes with a dark cloth so they can't see the eggs
    --collect the eggs often
    --keep them busy with toys such as a hanging cabbage, pile of leaves, etc...
    --use a lot of straw in the nest box so eggs don't get broken

3. Eggnonymous

Eggnonymous Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Carroll County, GA
    Hi, I'm fairly new here too, but I asked a similar question the other day and someone suggested this link on the forum:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=173767
    There was a fella who posted there named Sam who makes roll-out nests and might be able to offer some suggestions for retro fitting.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by