Egg eaters!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarrettG, Mar 19, 2016.

1. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    I have this beautiful all white Amerucana that I know is busting open an egg every day. How can I make it stop besides culling it? Do I need to give it more protein or calcium?Has anyone successfully cured a bird from egg eating?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be lack of protein and/or calcium.
    Knowing exactly what/how you are feeding might help.
    More info on your flock and coop/run space might help.

Fake eggs in nest, gathering eggs frequently can help..... or roll out nest will end it.

3. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Some people use roll-out nests to prevent hens from eating their eggs. I personally collect eggs often and use fake ceramic eggs (make sure you mark them so you don't collect them!) in the nests. When the hen tries to eat the ceramic egg, she finds she can't pick it open. Make sure her eggshells are strong enough not to crack when she lays them (that could have initiated egg eating). Supplement her diet with oyster shell, use a quality feed, and make sure she's not getting treats more than 10% of her daily diet.
    If you can't cure her of egg eating, you need to cull her. Egg eating will spread among the other hens once they discover she has found a "treat."

4. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida

What is a roll out nest? They have a big coop that's like 7×14' worth a run that's like 5×10'. I probably need to give them protein and calcium. I just give them flock raiser.

The fake eggs are going back in the nests asap!

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Purina 20%?
    Are you providing oysters shells too?
    Are egg shells thin?

6. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    Egg shells are not thin. They have either 20 or 18% protein in the food and 1% calcium. They dig in the dirt all day in the coop and run so I figure they get calcium from the ground so I don't give them calcium. Should I start?

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Laying hens should always have a source of calcium available.

Does the feed have an animal protein in it?

Try feeding them hard boiled eggs to supply some a map protein.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably should provide oyster shells in separate container to use as they need.
    But funny that you have good hard shells on your eggs, living in FL maybe they are getting 'shells' and/or calcium from the ground somehow.

9. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    A roll-out nest is a box that allows the eggs to roll into a separate area not accessible to the hens, but with a flap you can open to retrieve the eggs
    X2 on the suggestions to add supplemental calcium

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  10. bantambarnyard

bantambarnyard Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Southern California
    I would add calcium to the feed or switch to one that has it added. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by